Friday, 20 July 2007

School teams


Click on photo to enlarge

This is the Rainey Endowed Junior Athletics team which competed in 1956 at the Northern Ireland Grammar Schools  championships at Cherryvale, Belfast. There was a terrific air of anticipation engendered by this team mainly because  of the prowess of Derrick Crothers, who seemed to be good at everything and this lifted the performance of the rest. On the Wednesday the qualifying heats were held and I managed to qualify for Saturdays final by finishing in 6th place in the javelin. On Saturday I improved to 4th place. By finishing in 2nd place in competition with all the major grammar schools the team exceeded all expectations. Also in the County Derry championships the same team came out on top finishing 1st  in each event, a rare thing indeed. Here I managed to finish 1st in at that time a record throw.

In front - James Forsythe, Laurence Teague, Derrick Crothers (now Professor at Queens), Tom McCord (RIP), Mitchell Brown, Michael Brennen (now surgeon).
Standing - Mr Blackmore (PE Teacher), P Gribbin, Mr Fazackerley (Head), P Brockerton, Mr Johnston (teacher and a future runner up in Mastermind)





No comments: