Tuesday, 11 September 2007

Moyola days

Queen's University Belfast.Image via WikipediaMy aunt Margaret (Maggie to us) worked in Belfast as a seamstress. She never married and delighted in treating us to days out. Once I remember going by bus to the Zoo at Belfast. We also enjoyed the days down by the Moyola river that ran near the grandparents home in Anahorish picnicked on lemonade and biscuits. As this was in the summer the water in the river was not very deep in most places except in the bends where the slower stream was usually deeper. We stayed in the shallow parts. The summers seemed to be hotter and longer in the 50's.

At weekends we would see fishermen coming up from Belfast to fish in the Moyola river. I can remember on their return with their catch giving eels to the shop next door. I can still remember those eels jumping around on the frying pan even after being chopped up.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: